Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Fav Covers

Cover songs have pretty much as much potential to be as awesome as any other song. Really, unless the original lyrics are so mind-bogglingly terrible, a cover song can turn anything awesome. Maybe some of these deserved to be on my top 100 songs list, and in hindsight, some will probably appear. Whatever. TOP COVERS.

Honorable Mention: Fix You - Yellowcard, originally Coldplay
I enjoy this song quite a bit, but the reason it's an honorable mention is because I don't really enjoy it because it's a Yellowcard cover, it's just a kinda sweet, calming song. You'll hear the original Coldplay version, as I did on the radio once, and there's no real difference. Still good though.



#10. Such Great Heights - Iron and Wine, originally Postal Service
Have you seen Garden State? No? That's fair. Anyways, I have and this song is in it. I don't remember much about the movie and I know that I heard this song before seeing the movie. Anyways, it stuck with me a lot more and I enjoy it. Maybe not more than the original, but they're kinda hard to compare.



#9. Dammit - Syd, originally Blink-182
Who's Syd? Huh? What? Okay, I'm just banking on this guy being named Syd. People in YouTube comments claim it to be so while those who make the videos just kinda guess. But I like his voice, he makes a simple pop-punk song seem to be a lot more tragic and sad. Now, does that make his version inherently better? Well, that's a tough call, one I'm not going to make.



#8. War Pigs - CAKE, originally Black Sabbath
This one's just kinda a fun groove. Very noticeably different than the original and feels pretty CAKE-y. I can't say it's better than the original because the original is pretty damn good, but this one still is pretty good on its own.



#7. Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers, originally Stevie Wonder
I first heard this song in Guitar Hero 1. Never really heard the original version of it until a couple years ago and it doesn't really do much for me. This, on the other hand, is upbeat, driving, and fun. I really enjoy it, even if I can't really understand what's being said  all the time.



#6. Hot N Cold - Los Colorados, originally Katy Perry
I heard of this originally on Attack of the Show, way back when G4 was still good and played Ninja Warrior. It was just a little snippet, and the mentioned the artist name which stuck with me. Years later, a friend asked if I knew of it and, miraculously, I provided the name and we rediscovered it, kinda. Then I got it for myself and listened to it many times. The original doesn't really do anything for me; no Katy Perry song does, but this one has some character and is just a fun, silly song.



#5. New York, New York - Reel Big Fish, originally Frank Sinatra
Okay, so, yeah, the lead singer doesn't really quite have the power of Sinatra, but I just really enjoy this song. The feel and fun of having the entire song be recreated a capella creates its own personality separate of Sinatra's. Again, it's partially because the original had a solid melody and rhythm to it, but I can't deny how much I enjoy the little things this song does, like the whistles, the cymbal crashes, and the harmonies, especially in the final verse/chorus.



#4. 99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger, originally Nena
I don't really care too much for 80s pop, even if it is 80s German pop. But I do like alternative punk, or whatever this genre would be. Rock? Whatever. I like Goldfinger, and I really like this album, Stomping Ground. It's top. This song is top. It's fun to sing along to, and much more entertaining to me than the original.



#3. Baby Got Back - Jonathan Coulton, originally Sir Mix-A-Lot
This song should have no explanation of why I love it. It takes a silly rap song and turns it into a silly folk song. It amplifies the ridiculousness of the original and turns it into a wonderful disconnect between lyrics and music.



#2. Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm, originally Michael Jackson
Again, I don't care for 80s pop, so I don't really care much for Michael Jackson as well. Yeah, he's the king of pop, but not the pop I care about. But I do like this driving rock. It's got an intense drum track, a fast, fluid guitar and bass, and strong, upbeat vocals. This is a wonderful cover and it kicks ass, quite difficult not to put in the #1 spot.



#1. Take On Me - Reel Big Fish, originally A-ha
Yes, yes, if you know of this song and didn't see this coming, you are a fool. This song is awesome. It takes the slower calmer A-ha version and cranks it up with a proper band and brass. It's got a fast tempo and energetic vocals while keeping the ultimate catchiness of the original. It's awesome. I love it and you should too.


No comments:

Post a Comment