Monday, June 23, 2014

Top 5 Pop Songs of the First Half of 2014

Because I love these lists so much and I find it important to explain the pop songs I love so much to put the songs I bitch about into context. Top 5, but Ain't It Fun, Happy, and a couple others are unofficially tied for 6th.

#5. Talk Dirty - Jason Derulo ft. 2 Chainz
This song is preeetty stupid. Derulo is stupid and 2 Chainz lays down one of the worst rap bridges ever, probably tied with Juicy J in Dark Horse as dumbest I can remember in recent memory. BUT. This song is just so pumped with energy, the beat is raunchy, a good kind of catchy. It's great fun to sing along to and laugh at mostly because it's impossible to take seriously.

#4. Rude - Magic!
Points for being very different than most current pop songs, points for relatability, points for just sounding so nice. It's weird, a very similar thing happened to me, although it was a high school version, similar nonetheless. The harmony is nice, the music is nice, and the song in itself is just so fresh from everything else.

#3. Classic - MKTO
You know what I like? I like chicken nuggets. No, they're not particularly healthy, but I can eat them over and over without feeling sick of them, or even remembering that I ate them in the first place. I bring it up because this song is like a good batch of nugs. There's nothing particularly good about it, the lyrics are pretty generic and don't really say much about the girl they're singing to, but it's a fun listen. Reliably enjoyable. And it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of other songs out there which are probably the food equivalent of, I dunno, a big box of all bran cereal.

#2. Pompeii - Bastille
The first time I heard this song, I knew it would both a song that I quite enjoy for some time, and a song that would stick around for a while, but that's partially because when it came out, there was bugger all new on the radio. But this is another song that's just different, kinda indie, kinda mainstream. The eyyos are big, loud, intense. You've probably heard this song, and if you have, it should be fairly obvious why it's on this list.

#1. Turn Down For What - DJ Snake ft. Lil Jon
FUCK YESSSSS. This was almost #2 in favor for Pompeii, but this is the only song on the radio I will NEVER CHANGE STATIONS FOR. Heard it 3 minutes ago? DOESN'T MATTER. This song just kicks so much ass and every time I hear it, I get so happy inside. It's so in your face, it's big, it's intense, Lil Jon is on it. Yeah, only half of the 11 words he says are understandable because they're in the title, but I don't care! And the music video, oh the music video is just amazing. I thank V for initially showing me this masterpiece.


No comments:

Post a Comment